What is dermaplaning anyways?
Dermaplaning uses a razor or scalpel to remove all the dead skin cells and also the facial hair, leaving the surface very smooth. Dermaplaning also allows for greater penetration of skincare products and creates a flawless canvas for makeup to glide on smoothly.
It also happens to be pretty pricey if you’re on a budget like mine. It can cost upwards of $100-$200 a session and requires you to pretty much go back every 30 days if you want to keep your skin looking good. But the videos I’ve seen of this treatment were SO satisfying- seeing the dead skin come off (I know, I’m so weird).
I was on Groupon looking to get a dermaplaning treatment and it honestly felt like such a rip off still. I knew I would have to pay to go back to keep my results. So, I went on Ulta and found the Michael Todd Sonicsmooth. It had such great reviews so I thought I would give it a shot. I ordered it through Amazon because they had free 1 day shipping. WOOHOO! And because I had birthday money that I figured would be better to spend on my skin than on clothes or shoes (agree to disagree).
“Sonicsmooth is wireless rechargeable, non-slip coating for easy grip, simple to use and offers 3 sonic speeds to painlessly rid the complexion of unwanted facial hair while exfoliating the top layer of dead dull skin. Sonicsmooth utilizes specially designed Safety Edges combined with sonic technology (258 movements per second) to precisely remove peach fuzz and gently smooth the complexion. Skin is instantly smoother, softer and brighter after just the first use!”
I have extremely dry skin and it can be really hard to remove dead skin by just using an exfoliating scrub. Though I’ve never really minded my blonde peach fuzz on my face, I was willing to try this out if it meant I could drastically remove the dead skin from my face. I used the face wash that came with the Sonicsmooth and then it took me about 10 minutes to do my entire face.
After doing one swipe with the Sonicsmooth, I stopped to check what it picked up. Sorry, this is the gross part- but I wanted to be sure it was getting more than just hair. Sure enough- I saw lotsss of dead skin!
I have slightly sensitive skin, but have had major skin needling done in the past, so I felt ok about this. My skin was slightly red afterwards as expected- which is why they suggest doing this at night. It almost felt like a minor sunburn. They also provide a gel to put on after the treatment.
My skin felt SO smooth and soft. The next morning, my makeup really did apply like a dream. I looked at my face in the mirror in direct sunlight and it looks so healthy and natural, even with makeup on. I was FLOORED.
-You see results instantly (glowy skin, no hair, smooth to the touch). Like you don’t have to wait weeks or months.
– It’s $100 flat. And that gets you MANY dermaplaning sessions
– It does’t hurt at all. Comes with pre and post-treatment products
– From the comfort of your own home and bathroom. So convenient.
– Works better than a normal razor to the face. Actually removes the dead skin.
– Skincare product sink into the skin much easier. You makeup looks like a DREAM
– You can’t perform the dermaplaning if you have active breakouts.
– You eventually need to buy replacement cartridges that will put you out $25 for like 8 I think. Which is still more affordable than going to a esthetician.
– It’s kind of hard not to make a mess. Just make sure you are directly over your sink.
– After removing a lot of my peach fuzz, I saw acne scars that I didn’t really know were there. It’s a pro and a con. I can now have better focus with my microneedling
– Ulta coupons don’t work for this product haha 😉
I hope this was somewhat interesting and helpful. There’s a lot out on the market to look at, but I really feel the Michael Todd Sonicsmooth is the way to go. I’m SO impressed and can’t wait to keep using it! Also, this is NOT sponsored. Just thought I would share something wonderful.
Feel free to ask questions in the comments section.